MWCC has funding to assist our Watershed Partners with expenses related to professional development opportunities. This may include attending trainings or conferences relevant to such issues as watershed and community health, effective grant-writing and management, or effective community engagement. It also includes opportunities to implement skills and knowledge acquired at trainings and conferences, which MWCC will discuss with organizations after trainings are completed. Funding is available on a rolling basis, depending on availability, and will be disbursed on a reimbursement basis. You may apply for this funding by filling out the Watershed Fund Professional Development Support Request Form.
The purpose of these dollars is to allow our Watershed Partners – including staff, board members, volunteers, Big Sky Watershed Corps members, and engaged landowners – to acquire skills and knowledge relevant to watershed health in their communities. A secondary purpose is to provide support for the implementation of new tools and the application of new skills that are critical to your organization taking a meaningful next step in organizational sustainability or project implementation.
Who Qualifies for Support?
All MWCC Watershed Partner organizations are eligible.
What is Required of Participants?
After attending a training, conference, or other professional development opportunity, participants will be expected to complete a brief online form to report on the impacts of their experience. Reports must be completed within two weeks of the end of trainings and conferences attended. Professional development support requests must be submitted via the Watershed Fund Professional Development Request Form and must address the following questions:
- Purpose: What is the purpose of this professional development opportunity?
- Needs: What skills or resources will this training provide to help you or your organization improve organizational capacity, sustainability, or watershed and community health?
- How: How will you use this professional development opportunity to help your organization taking a meaningful next step in organizational sustainability or project implementation?
- Why: Why is this professional development opportunity necessary for the health of your watershed and of your community?
- Context: How will this professional development opportunity help you to develop, plan, or implement conservation and watershed plans in your area, such as DEQ-approved Watershed Restoration Plans, NRCS Technical Implementation Plans, state or regional Water Plans, local water quality plans, or other community-based conservation plans?
Examples of Eligible Professional Development Opportunities:
- Attending a training or conference relevant to building the capacity of your organization.
- Attending a training or conference relevant to developing, planning, or implementing conservation and watershed plans in your area.
- Implementing new tools and applying new skills learned during a professional development opportunity. ***Note that need for funds for implementation of tools and skills will be determined after trainings have been completed. These opportunities are not included as part of the online professional development support request form.
- Other professional development opportunities will be considered.
Among other factors, review criteria for professional development opportunities will include:
- Proposed professional development opportunity will measurably improve internal operations and external community-based conservation efforts
- Proposed professional development opportunity will provide meaningful skills and knowledge that will positively affect organizational capacity, sustainability, or scaling up of watershed efforts
- Relevance to developing, planning, or implementing conservation and watershed plans in your area, including, in the case of available 319 funds, implementing DEQ-approved Watershed Restoration Plans.
- Use of Watershed Approach principles by the applying organization, and within the proposal
Funding is available on a rolling basis, depending on availability.
How to Apply
Submit your professional development proposal via this online form, which is comprised of the questions listed under “What is Required of Participants?”, as well as budgetary needs.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions! We look forward to hearing from you.