Watershed Coordinator, Sun River Watershed GroupDeadline: February 15, 2018 12:00 am
The Sun River Watershed Group is a consensus driven, multi-stakeholder entity that strives to promote community based efforts that will preserve our quality of life and livelihoods while promoting and enhancing the natural resources of our watershed.
Since 1994, the Sun River Watershed Group (SRWG) has been the key to local involvement on resolve natural resource issues, which include weeds, water quality and water quantity.
The SRWG officially formed as a 501 © (3) nonprofit organization to access additional funds to work on natural resource projects.
The Sun River Watershed (SRW) is in west-central Montana covering 1.4 million acres of diversified landscape, including Forest Service wilderness, critical wildlife winter habitat, rangeland, irrigated cropland and several small communities. The river flows for approximately 110 miles, contributing its water to various uses until it mingles with the nation’s second largest river, the Missouri, near the historic city of Great Falls.
This position is a part time or full time position, responsible for the daily management of the organization, including fundraising, budgeting, program planning and implementation, staff and independent contractor supervision, program oversight, office management, and complying with the legal responsibilities of non-profits. The Coordinator works in close partnership with the Sun River Watershed Group Executive Committee.
This will require an energetic, self-motivated, friendly, creative individual with proven project management and coordination skills and a strong commitment to watershed health and restoration.
General Description of Services: The Watershed Coordinator will be responsible for coordination, implementation, and general administration of SRWG projects as a contractor to the SRWG. Contracted services will include project grant application and administration, and project management to meet the mission and goals of the SRWG. The Watershed Coordinator will work directly with the SRWG Board of Directors and project partners to promote, assist and provide guidance for project implementation and reporting project results.
Employment terms: This is a contract position, which will undergo a task, funding and progress review on a 6-month basis. If the contractor has the drive and ambition, meet performance expectations, and establish a successful fundraising track record, this contract has the potential to evolve into a full-time employee position.
Work location: The Coordinator will provide services in the entire Sun River watershed and will attend SRWG and partner meetings in the watershed. Preference will be given to a contractor living in or near the watershed.
Essential Functions (20%)
- Provide oversight to SRWG Projects
- Maintain coordination with the Executive Committee.
- Maintain SRWG budget and reports to the SRWG Board and partners.
Outreach and Partner Relationships (30%)
- Attend partner meetings to maintain relationships within the watershed
- Direct outreach to land owners in the watershed for project development, design, and implementation
- Network for community based conservation and the Sun River Watershed
- Work with the Board of Directors to identify funding prospects
- Develop and execute Sun River Watershed Group’s annual fundraising plan
- Coordinate with the board to develop and maintain relationships with private and public donors.
- Develop relationships with state and federal decision-makers.
- Strong interest in the conservation of the Sun River watershed and its resources, and to the mission of the Sun River Watershed Group.
- Excellent writing, administrative, and organizational skills with quantitative and qualitative analysis skills.
- Highest level of personal and professional integrity.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
Knowledge, Experience, and Skills:
- Experience with fundraising and community engagement.
- Technical writing and private, state and federal grant administration.
- Experience working with a variety of private landowners and public managers is desired.
- Program budgeting and planning knowledge, including setting and meeting fundraising objectives, evaluating results, and developing corrective strategies as needed.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Valid driver’s license, current insurance, and access to private vehicle.
- Independent contractor status (or willingness to obtain this status).
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of the contracted service. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements. A specific scope of contracted services will be developed.
Contract details: This is a contracted services solicitation for watershed coordinator services on a yearly basis. The successful candidate will negotiate specific contract details, including administration, fees, and expenses for each project and task with the SRWG Executive Committee. Contract is part time or full time, dependent on funding and work plan. All data, products, and information will be the property of SRWG. Compensation will be based on experience, with a minimum of $20.00 hourly.
To Apply: Provide a cover letter expressing your interest and a resume with relevant experience. Please submit proposals via email
Montana Watershed Coordination Council is assisting the Sun River Watershed Group in finding the right fit.
Please send your resume and expression of interest to: Erin Farris-Olsen email@example.com, with “SRWG Application” in the title.
This position will remain open until filled.
Committee will begin reviewing applications after January 15th, 2018.
Start Date: March 2018 desired.