Sustainability Educator – Energy Corps MemberJob Type(s): Education
Deadline: September 30, 2019 12:00 am
Please click here to visit the job posting page
Name and location of host site: Whitefish School District – Whitefish, MT
Title: Sustainability Educator
Reports to: Energy Corps Program Director
Term of service: October 1, 2019 – August 28, 2020
Anticipated service schedule: 1700 hours over course of service term. Roughly 40 hours per week. Occasional evening/weekend hours may be necessary.
The member’s support will help the Whitefish School District engage in programming at the Center for Sustainability and Entrepreneurship (CSE). The CSE is an innovative educational center at Whitefish Schools, providing applied learning experiences for all K-12 students and adult members of the community in sustainable energy, agriculture, forestry, natural resources, and topics related to the Whitefish community and economy. The goal of the CSE is to address the fundamental mismatch between what our schools teach and what the new economy requires of our students. Our K-12 and adult learners face unprecedented problems; in an ever changing world; using technology that has not yet been invented. The role of the Energy Corps member will be to support programming for K-12 students and community members, engage in research, and spread sustainability-related programming learned at the CSE throughout the community.
With a focus on the development of deeper learning, CSE emphasizes the creation of innovators, leaders, visionaries and pioneers. Entrepreneurship, like sustainability requires individuals to pursue opportunity beyond the resources they can control. Through an emphasis on sustainability and entrepreneurship this center allows students to gain the skills, knowledge and aptitudes needed to shape a more peaceful and prosperous future. The Energy Corps member will help connect community members and students to the newly created innovation lab and audio and video production space. The innovation lab and audio & video production room are fully equipped spaces to learn about and create in the areas of websites development, graphic design, audio and video production, and audio and video editing. This space will help sustainability-oriented entrepreneurs learn how to develop websites, create their brand guide, and develop promotional materials, etc.
List of Activities & Responsibilities for Energy Corps member
- Provide program support and play a key role in developing structures, systems, and programs that will ensure the success of the CSE.
- Support programming for all K-12 students in Whitefish School District and to Whitefish community members through our adult education programming on the topics of sustainable agriculture, forestry, energy systems, and facilities.
- Support the implementation of the school district’s Energy Management Plan.
- Support the implementation of learned skills and behaviors such as energy management, recycling, compositing, etc. within the schools and extended community.
- Connect community members and students to the newly created innovation lab and audio and video production space
- Must be over 18 with a high school diploma or GED; some college or work experience preferred
- Knowledgeable on farm and greenhouse management
- Ability to collect data and write reports
- Experience with grant research
- Ability to relate to people from diverse backgrounds
- Good organization and communication skills, presents self in a professional manner, and is outgoing and personable
- Experienced public speaker and excellent writing skills
- Background in one or all of the following is preferred: sustainable agriculture, forestry, energy systems, and facilities.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Member will have reoccurring access to vulnerable populations
Benefits: This Energy Corps position will receive the following benefits:
- Opportunity to make a difference in a community
- Green job training and professional development
- Living allowance of $13,992 over term of service
- An AmeriCorps Education Award of $6,095 upon successful completion of service
- Health benefits and child care assistance if qualified