Grant Writer – Northern Plains Resource CouncilJob Type(s): Finance, Programs / Services
Salary: $18 – $20
Deadline: April 17, 2020 12:00 am
Please click here to visit the job posting page
“We all love this place we call Montana. We believe that land and water and air are not ours to despoil, but ours to steward for future generations.” – Paul Hawks (rancher, Melville, MT)
Since 1972, the Northern Plains Resource Council has been committed to organizing Montanans to protect our water quality, family farming and ranching, and our unique quality of life.
We fill a unique niche as an environmental group, organizing in Montana’s farm and ranch country to advocate for clean air, clean water, and progressive natural resource policies. Northern Plains brings non-traditional voices into conservation issues. We build bridges between people.
“This thriving citizens organization exemplifies the ideal of public involvement in public processes.” – Billings Gazette
Our Grant Writer is primarily responsible for raising money from external sources such as foundations, churches, corporations, and other granting institutions – private foundations being by far the biggest source of our external fundraising.
This means maintaining effective relationships, producing quality written materials, conducting research, and meeting deadlines. The Grant Writer also has responsibilities in other aspects of our fundraising and our overall organizational work.
The position of Grant Writer is a full-time (35-40 hours/week, negotiable) hourly position.
While each employee at Northern Plains has individual work assignments, the entire staff works together as a team to accomplish the goals set by the Board of Directors.
Job location: Billings, Montana preferred, or Helena, Montana.
The Grant Writer reports to the Director of Program Support.
Northern Plains does not discriminate in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
For more information about Northern Plains, visit www.northernplains.org.
• Researching and prioritizing prospective funders of Northern Plains’ work;
• Preparing and submitting proposals – as well as reports – to targeted foundations and other granting organizations;
• Maintaining a calendar of proposal and report deadlines;
• Developing relationships as appropriate with key foundation program officers;
• Maintaining supporting materials that are needed for proposals and reports;
• Maintaining organized records in hard copy and digital form;
• Maintaining and updating Northern Plains’ presence on websites like GuideStar and Charity Navigator;
• Developing adequate knowledge of Northern Plains’ issue campaigns to communicate our work effectively.
• Drafting fundraising letters and thank-you letters;
• Participating in Northern Plains’ Grassroots Donor Campaigns;
• Leading Northern Plains’ bequest program;
• Leading the Foundation Team (writing agendas, running meetings, etc.);
• Administrative tasks as assigned;
• Participating in staff team meetings and collaborating with other staff as needed to advance our work.
• Commitment to Northern Plains’ issues and values;
• Background in foundation fundraising;
• Strong writing skills, comfortable with being edited;
• Strong proofreading skills;
• Ability to get along well with people from diverse backgrounds;
• Well-organized, ability to prioritize, and detail-oriented;
• Ability to work independently, as well as in a team;
• Ability to meet deadlines;
• Ability to travel on occasion;
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite.
Also helpful: Experience with a nonprofit organization working for social change or on environmental issues, ability to think creatively, strategically, and practically.
Wage Range: $18.00-$20.00/hour, depending on experience.
Benefits: Health insurance; 4 weeks paid vacation; pension program; 8 paid holidays, paid sick leave.
Application Deadline: This position is open until filled, but we encourage applications as soon as possible. Applications will be received and reviewed on a rolling basis. Position is open until filled.
To apply, please email the following to Steve Paulson, email@example.com:
• Cover letter (tell us why you want this job),
• Writing sample,
• 3 professional references