Communications Specialist – Montana AudubonJob Type(s): Programs / Services
Salary: $16 – $20
Deadline: December 13, 2019 12:00 am
Please click here to visit the job posting page
Summary of Position
The Communications Specialist is a part-time, non-exempt professional staff position. Primary responsibilities include leading external marketing and communications efforts while working closely with all staff to meet goals for increasing awareness, financial support, members and volunteers.
Marketing and Communications (65%)
- Provides input and feedback to Executive Director and Development Director as they develop a 3-year comprehensive marketing and communication plan for both traditional and online media.
- Coordinates with staff to develop and implement consistent and compelling communications that effectively state our organizational case for support.
- Maintains an open line of communication with the program managers/directors to coordinate marketing strategies and content for support of individual programs and projects.
- Assists in developing and copyediting materials that can be used for donor stewardship, cultivation and solicitation (i.e. direct appeals and additional donor materials
- Manages the bi-annual print newsletter process and regular eNews communications, including general content development, coordination, editing, and design consultation.
- Manages website and social media platforms in an effective manner to maximize online involvement exposure and engagement.
- Manages eBird webpage, including writing, editing, and coordination w/ partner entities on blog content.
- With the Development Director, ensures that all communication activities will be integrated with development activities through use of a shared Google calendar.
Media Relations (15%)
- Develops and utilizes media relations plan, with the goal of increasing public knowledge and awareness of Montana Audubon’s conservation efforts, ultimately expanding our public support base
- Works with staff, board of directors and other ambassadors to expand our media reach throughout Montana
- Organizes, catalogs, and maintains media coverage, archives and photos
Event Promotion and Support (20%)
- Creates materials to effectively promote Wings Across the Big Sky Festival, Birdathon and other Montana Audubon events, including sponsorship materials, brochure, and all on-site materials.
- Coordinates marketing activities to promote festival participation.
- Assists Development Director in planning and executing events, as needed
The Communications Specialist reports to the Development Director.
This position is part-time, hourly, non-exempt, and compensation is commensurate with experience.
Email cover letter, resume, and three references to Kristin Sewak, email@example.com, with “Communications Specialist” in the subject line. Screening of applications begins December 20, 2019 and the position is open until filled. Montana Audubon is an equal opportunity employer. No calls please.
The Communications Specialist position requires education equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, English or a related field, and at least 3 years progressively-responsible experience in communications. Critical qualifications include: strong verbal and written communication skills, experience in publications, maintenance of website, and social media skills. Must have the ability to work effectively in a team environment, forming productive partnerships with a variety of people and organizations. Preferable: Working knowledge of conservation efforts in Montana and/or the commitment to quickly learn more about our work and other efforts in the state.