Since 1999, the Montana Watershed Coordination Council has been honoring individuals and groups providing innovative, locally led approaches to conserving, protecting, restoring and enhancing watersheds in Montana. Watershed Awardees inspire others to conserve, protect, restore and enhance Montana’s watersheds.
Eligible groups may include local watershed groups, resource management groups and other collaborative efforts that aim to improve, rehabilitate, or protect land and water resources in a watershed. Individuals may also be nominated. While it should be stressed that there is no single formula for success, the guidelines for the award include the following indicators of watershed stewardship: diverse, local and effective collaboration; demonstration of measured results; community outreach and education; and a holistic approach to watershed health.
A project does not have to be completed to be eligible – simply describe the process and accomplishments to date. Award recipients are not eligible for five years following recognition; see the following page for a list of previous recipients.
Anyone may make nominations using the form below. For the 2019 Awards, nominations must be received by Friday, December 14th, 2018. Send nominations to: MWCC (Attn: Kierra Davis), P.O. Box 1416., Helena, MT 5924 or via email email@example.com, RE: 2019 Awards Nomination. MWCC’s Nominations Committee will review nominations and determine award recipients. Questions may be directed to: Kierra Davis (406)475-1420.
The recipient will be announced in mid to late December and the award(s) will be presented at the Joint Montana Wetland and Watershed Awards Ceremony on January 28, 2019, location TBD, in Helena, Montana. MWCC Annual Meeting will be held on January 29th, 2019 at the Myrna Loy Performing Arts Center.
2017 Award Recipients:
- Watershed Award: Jeff Tiberi, Montana Association of Conservation Districts
- Watershed Award: Broadwater Conservation District
- Wetland Award: Larry Urban, Montana Department of Transportation
- Wetland Award: Trust For Public Lands, Story Mill Creek Restoration Project
2015 Award Recipients:
- Watershed Award: Kris Newgard, Kootenai National Forest Hydrologist, Three Rivers District
- Watershed Award: Musselshell Water Coalition
- Wetland Award: Wetland and Riparian Mapping Center, Montana Natural Heritage Program
- Wetland Award: Montana Ducks Unlimited, Inc.
2013 Award Recipients:
- Watershed Award: Adam Sigler, Montana State Extension: Water Quality
- Watershed Award: Arctic Grayling CCAA Management Team
- Wetland Award: Blackfoot Trumpeter Swan Swan Restoration Program
- Wetland Award: Valley Garden Ranch, Madison County
2011 Award Recipients:
- Watershed Group Award: Sweet Grass County Conservation District/Boulder River Watershed Association/Big Timber & Swamp Creek Watershed Group
- Watershed Individual Award: Joel Chavez & Tim Reilly, DEQ Remediation Division, Silver Bow Creek Restoration
- Wetland Award: Henry and Trish Gordon, Gordon Cattle Company
- Wetland Award: Flathead River to Lake Initiative Partners
2009 Award Recipients:
- Watershed Award: Yellowstone River Conservation District Council
- Watershed Individual Award: Robert Ray
- Wetland Award: Jim and Cindy Kittredge, Bird Creek Ranch and Tim Griffiths, NRCS Bozeman Area Biologist
2007 Award Recipients:
- Watershed Award: The Flathead Lakers – Critical Lands Project
- Wetland Award: Jim Stone of Rolling Stone Ranch, Gary Sullivan, USFWS and Dave Carr, TNC
2006 Watershed Award Recipients:
- Watershed Award: Upper Clark Fork Basin Steering Committee
- Watershed Individual Award: Alan Rollo
2005 Award Recipients:
- Watershed Award: Kootenai River Network
- Watershed Individual Award: Mike McLane
2002 Award Recipients:
- Watershed Award: Bitter Root Water Forum
- Wetland Award: Larry Weeks
- Wetland Award: Gordon Stockstad
2001 Award Recipients:
- Big Spring Watershed Partnership
- Upper Shields Watershed Association
- Big Blackfoot Chapter of Trout Unlimited / Blackfoot Challenge
2000 Watershed Stewardship Award Recipients:
- Careless Creek Watershed
- Green Mountain Conservation District
- Sage Creek Watershed Alliance
2000 Wetland Stewardship Award Recipients:
- Mary Bradshaw – H2-O Ranch, Helmville
- Brian Maiorano – Missoula County Floodplain Administrator
1999 Watershed Stewardship Award Recipients:
- Big Hole Watershed Committee
- Sun River Watershed
Scroll to the bottom of the page for a downloadable copy of the form.