Captain Planet Foundation Offers Grants for Hands-On Environmental Education ActivitiesFunding Sources: Private Foundation
Deadline: September 30, 2017
Click here to visit ‘s Website!
The Captain Planet Foundation will fund as many projects as its annual resources allow.
All applicant organizations or sponsoring agencies must be exempt from federal taxation under the Internal Revenue Code Section 501, in order to be eligible for funding (this includes most schools and non-profit organizations).
September 30th- typically for spring and summer projects
January 31st- typically for fall and winter projects
The Captain Planet Foundation primarily makes grants to U.S.-based schools and organizations with an annual operating budget of less than $3 million. International requests NOT being considered at this time.
Grants are made for activities that conform to the mission of the Captain Planet Foundation and MUST have all four of the following to be considered for funding:
- Be project-based;
- Projects must be performed by youth;
- Projects must have real environmental outcomes;
- Be based in the United States.
Grants from the Captain Planet Foundation are intended to:
- Provide hands-on environmental stewardship opportunities for youth;
- Serve as a catalyst to getting environment-based education in schools;
- Inspire youth and communities to participate in community service through environmental stewardship activities.
Captain Planet Foundation will accept small grant requests for amounts between $500 – $2,500. Preferential consideration is given to requests who have secured at least 50% matching or in-kind funding for their projects. (Projects with matching funds or in-kind support are given priority because external funding is a good indicator of the potential for long-term sustainability of the activities). Captain Planet Foundation may choose to fund a portion of the project budget that best fits within the foundation guidelines or contact an applicant for further discussion.
(Note: Please do not contact the office for information about the status of your application.)
Restrictions on Use of Funds
Captain Planet Foundation funds MAY NOT be used for:
- Capital or building campaigns, purchase of real estate, or endowments
- General operating expenses or staffing salaries
- Beautification or landscaping projects
- Travel costs or Field trips that are not an essential part of the proposed project (if included, identify the purpose of the field trip above, under “project activities.”)
- Expensive equipment that can only be used once, used only by a small number of children, or is principally being purchased for the general use of the school or organization beyond the stated needs of project.
- Promotional items such as t-shirts, flyers, postcards, or signage